I spent last Friday madly baking (and making a huge mess) for our holiday Christmas party. After my first creation not turning out exactly how I wanted, I decided to take another chance by attempting to satisfy my month long s’more craving with these donuts. In hindsight, experimenting when I was on a tight timeline probably wasn’t wise… Thankfully, they turned out great and successfully killed my s’more craving. I will warn you, the marshmallow topping will be messy. Or maybe it was just extra messy for me because I am a tornado in the kitchen. Either way, you have been warned. :p
1 1/2 cups quinoa (for gluten free) or whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cacao powder
1/3 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 5oz bar dark chocolate
1/2 tsp chocolate extract
4 Medjool dates, pits removed
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup vegan marshmallows
2 tsp coconut oil
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup vegan graham crackers, chopped into small chunks
1) Preheat oven to 350 and grease donut pan with coconut oil. In medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, cacao powder & salt. Set aside.
2) In small saucepan, over medium heat, add soy milk, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, dark chocolate & extract. Allow chocolate to melt and mixture to simmer for a couple minutes. Remove from heat.
3) Add dates, sweet potato puree, maple syrup and soy milk mixture to food processor or good quality blender. Blend on high until dates are completely blended in.
4) Add blended mixture to dry ingredients and fold in until well blended.
5) Spoon mixture into donut pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
6) For the topping, in a small saucepan, melt marshmallows and 1 tsp coconut oil over medium heat. Drizzle cooled donuts with melted marshmallows and follow by sprinkling graham cracker chunks over marshmallows.
7) Heat remaining 1 tsp coconut oil over medium heat, add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Drizzle chocolate over donuts.